Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Why are we doing this ride?


When I was seven years old my parents told me about a group of cyclists that were riding their bikes from near our home in Garden Grove, CA to Utah – I was fascinated.  My friends & I rode laps on our Schwinns in our cul de sac pretending we were making the same journey.  I have loved biking ever since.  Through work opportunities Kathryn & I have driven across the country four times.  We now are taking the opportunity to do it again by bicycle, to get out and discover more about America –as Emerson said “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best”.

Kathryn will drive & provide navigation & support while I pedal my Specialized Roubaix bicycle.  We will generally follow the Adventure Cycling “Northern Tier” maps from Anacortes, WA to Bar Harbor, ME.

A few people have asked if I am riding to support a cause – we have chosen two:
1)    Utah Food Bank – I have volunteered often at food banks in Hawaii & Utah – and know they fulfill a great purpose. 
2)    an extended family member suffered a terrible cycling accident in March and is still recovering.

For those inclined you can see more information on the separate cause tabs.

No comments:

Post a Comment