Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day 10 - Wheat Harvesting in eastern Montana

We left Hwy 2 & the Great Northern Railway and turned southeast towards North Dakota.  We crossed two of the large rivers that originate in the Montana Rockies; the Missouri (crossed near Wolf Point), and the Yellowstone (crossed at Glendive).  I watched various stages of wheat harvesting all day from my bike seat - it is fascinating and I appreciate the work these people do to help feed us all.  Thoughts for the day:

  1. Giant dark chocolate Hershey bars are a great aid for all day biking energy.
  2.  We spoke with Jonathan today (from Philadelphia).  He is biking to the Oregon coast  from Maryland, and carrying all his gear & water.  I struggled to lift his bike - had to be near 100 pounds.  My journey seems very easy.
  3. I am amazed at the farmers & ranchers that work so hard in the hot sun day after day.


2 comments:

  1. What neat things to see and experience....you could really only see and start to understand some of these things if you aren't passing through as quickly. :) Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I'm wondering how far I have to swim to earn a giant Hershey bar.

    ReplyDelete