Saturday, August 18, 2012

Day 20 - Finished with Iowa

We continued south through the hilly & beautiful Iowa farms. Iowa produces roughly 30% of the country's hogs & 20% of the corn.  We smelled it & saw it.  At Muscatine the route crosses the Mississippi, and turns east (yea!!).  I appreciate the Iowa agricultural resources (feeding the world), much better after these past 3 days.  Thoughts for the day:

  1. Cows are always entertaining.They pose well for pictures.
  2. I have lived a life in suburbia, It is interesting to view the isolated farmhouses & imagine life with your closest neighbors at least 100 acres away, and the closest Costco at least a days drive.  I raced a tractor up a hill - he was gaining on me but luckily the crest of the hill arrived & I knew I could beat him down the hill.
  3. I appreciate the way Iowans display the nation's flag.






5 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for all the farmers and workers who feed our world. Any pictures of the hogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to get a picture but didn't want to muck up my biking shoes - so I passed on it

      Delete
  2. That is beautiful! You are such a great example, Evan and I are inspired by you and Aunt Kathryn! Maybe one day we will be able to do something like this!
    Hilarie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're getting closer to us Hoosiers here in Indiana! Too bad Indianapolis isn't a bit further north!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...we are doing some rerouting maybe...I just sent you an email Linds.

      Delete