Friday, August 31, 2012

Day 30 - The Wind helped me today into PA

The hot, southwest wind pushed us all the way into Pennsylvania.  Heather, our oldest daughter, flew into Cleveland this morning to spend the weekend with us.  Heather & Kathryn toured the LDS church history sites around Kirtland, while I rode with the wind.  I really enjoyed the constant views of the lake near Geneva on the Lake - a resort area.  I saw more golf courses than any other day of the trip.  Once I entered PA - I saw the lake for only 5 minutes.  I missed it.  The vineyards multiplied as we crossed the PA border.  Thoughts for the day:

  1. I am continually amazed at the display of flags throughout the country.  In Eastlake I saw the Boulevard of 500 flags where they honor local veterans & also have a 9-11 memorial. Countless main streets of small towns are lined with US flags.
  2. I love the name Ashtabula, a town near the PA border.  It is an Iriquois name meaning 'river of many fish'.  The city is still a major coal shipping port & was a major terminus on the underground railroad.
  3. I really appreciate Kathryn's support every day.  Today I was on my own & I realized how spoiled I have been.  I carried more supplies & had to stop at several MacDonalds, 7-11 type stores for cold water, etc.




Wind whipped waves - almost rideable

Coal loading at Ashtabula
PA Vineyards

No comments:

Post a Comment