Friday, August 24, 2012

Day 24 - Into the Hoosier State

Today was the type of day I envisioned when I would think about biking across the country.  We were biking back country roads in a very different region than I was accustomed to, without any traffic, weather or time pressure (mileage) worries.  The miles flew by, and I really felt I was exploring America.  We entered our 9th state of the trip, the Hoosier State (which also has a claim on Lincoln).  We spent the day in western Indiana, mainly in Parke County, which claims the most covered bridges of any place in the country.  I loved the woods, rivers, Amish farms, and wide open views that included more than corn & soybeans. This part of western Indiana has more trees & variety than Illinois & Iowa.  

 Thoughts for the day:

  1. I passed a few Amish farms today, and they portray a simpler, safer, easier way of life.  
  2. I saw folks harvesting the dry corn today.  At least rain is forecast for Sunday.
  3. Marshall, Indiana became one of my favorite towns today.  All parts of our country have unique, interesting places to explore.
  4. The covered bridge on the 1st hole of the Parke County Golf Course is a cool addition.






1st Hole Par 4

No comments:

Post a Comment